Prestigious Irish Language award for Patrick’s Dungiven
Ón Derry Post - 11/10/2016
Year 10 pupils of St. Patrick’s College, Dungiven, were recently presented with Corn an Athar Uí Mhuirí, awarded by Comhaltas Uladh, in recognition of high standards in spoken Irish.
A number of scholarships for summer colleges in Donegal Gaeltacht had also been previously awarded.
Mr. Seán Ó Murchadha presented the cup on behalf of Comhaltas Uladh and congratulated the pupils on their achievements.
Irish teacher, Ms. Deirdre Kelpie, welcomed pupils, staff, and guests to the presentation and thanked Mr. Ó Murchadha, Comhaltas Uladh, and Mrs. Louise McNamara, Glór Dhún Geimhin, for their support and the scholarships received by the record number of St. Patrick’s College Dungiven pupils who travelled to the Gaeltacht in July 2016.
Ms Kelpie also thanked Mr. Niall Comer, President of Comhaltas Uladh and Ms. Michaeline Donnelly for the support.
Celebrating the success with the pupils were Mr. Gormley, Principal of St. Patrick’s College, Mrs. Louise McKeever of Glór Dhún Geimhin and Irish Language Officer, Mr. Brian Ó Doibhlin.
Principal Mr. Gormley said “This is a very proud day for our Year 10 pupils and our wider school community. I congratulate the pupils on their success and dedication to their studies in the Irish language and thank Ms. Kelpie for her tireless work with all groups in our languages department.” Mrs. Mary O’Neill and the St. Patrick’s College Traditional Group provided the music for the occasion.
Nuacht is déanaí ó Dáire
- An Ghaeltacht agus Gaoth Dobhair cáilithe ach foirne Chonamara díbeartha
- ‘Educational apartheid’ ar bun ag an Roinn Oideachais maidir le scoileanna Gaeltachta – INTO
- Eolas breise tugtha ag an Roinn faoi pholasaí oideachais agus beirt mhúinteoirí as an nGaeltacht fostaithe ag COGG
- Deichniúr ó threibh nach ndearnadh aon teagmháil léi roimhe seo maraithe ag mianadóirí sa Bhrasaíl
- An-tóir ar an gcéad ‘bhréagán Breatnaise’